Contact Us

Jamie Chmielowiec, ACI
State Certified #39427

A Basic Home Inspection, LLC.
cell (520)400-5089
fax (520)298-1309

What can I do to protect myself and my family from radon?

The first step is to test your home for radon, and have it fixed if it is at or above EPA's Action Level of 4 picocuries per liter. You may want to take action if the levels are in the range of 2-4 picocuries per liter. Generally, levels can be brought below 2 pCi/l fairly simply. 

The best method for reducing radon in your home will depend on how radon enters your home and the design of your home. For example, sealing cracks in floors and walls may help to reduce radon. There are also systems that remove radon from the crawl space or from beneath the concrete floor or basement slab that are effective at keeping radon from entering your home. These systems are simple and don't require major changes to your home.

Other methods may be necessary. 

People who have private wells should test their well water to ensure that radon levels meet EPA's newly proposed standard.
For more information, read the EPA's "A Citizen's Guide to Radon"
and "How to Find a Qualified Radon Service Professional in Your Area"

The above information is provided as a public service by the Environmental Protection Agency for educational purposes.
The identification of Radon is beyond the scope of our inspection. However we can assist you in contacting licensed specialists in this field.